Sunday, August 14, 2005

Don Stefanik's BBQ


Friday the 13th came on a Saturday this month. It was also the date chosen to celebrate Don Stefanik’s retirement.

Don and his wife Carole invited friends, family, business associates and members of the motorcycle community to join them in Forest, Ontario to kick off the next career move.

Don is a guy who prepares for the future. All this time, while growing food in Canada’s banana belt, he was building an Amsoil business on the side. Like Bulldog, his southern neighbor, Don plans to run a business from home and let others pick up the stresses of cultivating the land.

From my perspective, Don’s transition from farming gave me an opportunity to explore some new roads on the Goldwing, meet up with fellow riders, including Don, and let’s not forget – free food!

The farm on Fuller Road is a modern operation with acres of Soy Beans maturing in the fields along with the associated equipment and storage facilities. I’m agriculturally challenged, but to me this year’s crop looked healthy and substantial.

In speaking with Don’s son-in-law I learned a little about how much land it takes to produce a load of soy beans. When you add in fickle weather and other variables I am amazed anyone is willing to grow crops for a living. The Stefanik family seems to have mastered the technique and I’m sure will be sorely missed in the market.

Speaking of the Stefanik family, a nicer group of folks would be hard to find. I had the privilege of meeting three generations and they all were gracious and hospitable. Even little Joshua (maybe 1 year old?) did his part by smiling through the entire event. He didn’t have much to add by way of conversation, but contributed to the spirits of all he encountered.

On the way up to Forest I caught up with six other riders at the McDonalds in Port Huron. After the usual road construction and detours in downtown Detroit I was running a little late and was glad to see Polecat arrive about five minutes after me. Come to think of it he was running late the last time I met up with him in Dayton Ohio en route to Tennessee.

The Michigan contingent consisted of Mike L. and his wife Sherry, Orange Crush, HiYoSilver, Slovak, CJS, and me. With Polecat in tow, we headed for the border.

I managed to snap a few other pictures and will post a few more here when I have time.

No comments: